Free Webinars to Help Attorneys During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Every aspect of the legal industry has been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Here at Lawline, we’re doing our part to help attorneys adjust to a rapidly shifting legal practice with a series of free CLE offerings, free non-CLE webinars, and short briefings designed to answer specific questions attorneys have about their practice.
This list will be updated on an ongoing basis as we add more content. Have a request? Fill out this form to ask a question or suggest a topic!
Please note these webinars are not for CLE credit.
- Shifting to a Remote Law Practice in Response to COVID-19. Attorneys have increasingly found themselves working remotely in response to COVID-19. This webinar, presented by Oscar Michelen and Scott Limmer, will cover the impact that COVID-19 has had on law practices, how attorneys can best adapt to working remotely, and what systems and technologies attorneys can employ in order to successfully shift to an online practice. Recorded on March 25, 2020.
- Furloughs, Reductions in Workforce, and More: Top Payroll Considerations in the Time of COVID. Many businesses and employees have faced hardship as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. This webinar, presented by Kyle Carraro, will review the benefits available to employers during this time, including furloughs, unemployment benefits, and relief programs. Recorded on March 27, 2020.
- Updating Your Coronavirus Response Plan: A How-To Guide for Employers. This webinar, presented by Susan Gross Sholinsky and Nancy Gunzenhauser Popper, will answer frequently asked questions by employers about how to respond to constantly changing laws and regulations due to the Coronavirus pandemic, including the Families First Coronavirus Response Act, the impact of stay-at-home orders, and resources to maintain business continuity. Recorded on March 30, 2020.
- Using Technology to Counsel Vulnerable Clients in a Crisis. In this time of crisis, attorneys need to be able to shift their firm online and know how to best prepare and advocate for clients in a virtual setting. This webinar, presented by Maren Miller Bam, will cover tools and tips to do so, including routing phone calls, using DocuSign, posting on social media, telephonic hearings, and virtual conferences. Recorded on April 1, 2020.
- Immigration Updates and Strategies Amid the COVID-19 Pandemic. The COVID-19 pandemic has had a major impact on immigration-related agencies like the Department of State, USCIS, ICE, CBP, EOIR, and DOL. This webinar, presented by Matthew Blaisdell, Valentine Brown, and Christian Park, will cover the latest information from these agencies on travel bans, application filing, court appearances, the H-1B lottery, and more. Recorded on April 1, 2020.
- Creative Estate Planning in the Time of Coronavirus. This webinar, presented by Kim Murphy and Lisa Campo, helps attorneys offer quality estate planning services in the time of COVID-19 with discussions of holographics wills, electronic signatures and notarizations, and video-conferencing witnesses. Recorded on April 2, 2020.
- How to Stay Sane, Productive, and Healthy in Isolation: Wellness Strategies for Attorneys During the Pandemic. It is essential that attorneys find time to stay healthy in this time of crisis. This webinar, presented by Will Meyerhofer, provides tips attorneys can use to protect their mental health and wellness while still supporting their family, community, and law practice during this time. Recorded on April 3, 2020.
- Managing Your Coronavirus Response Plan: FAQs for Employers. In this update to their previous webinar, Susan Gross Sholinsky and Nancy Gunzenhauser Popper answer more frequently asked questions by employers, and provide an overview of federal, state, and local leave laws, various unemployment insurance laws, the impact of furloughs, and return to work issues. Recorded on April 13, 2020.
- Assessing Commercial Real Estate Rent Relief & Other Covid-Related Real Estate Issues. Many small business tenants are having difficulties paying their rent during the pandemic. This webinar, presented by Greg Schenk, will assess how to best assist clients who can’t pay their current rent, are shut down, or have too much space. Recorded on April 14, 2020.
- Everything You Need to Know About the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (The CARES Act). This webinar, presented by Dr. Bart and Roman Basi, covers the most prominent points from The CARES Act, provides guidance on aspects ranging from the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance Program to the Paycheck Protection Program, and provides a strategic approach to various aspects within the legislation and economic environment. Recorded on April 17, 2020.
- Navigating Family and Matrimonial Issues During the COVID-19 Pandemic: What Happens When Courts Aren't Available? This webinar, presented by Kelly Frawley and Emily Pollock, covers common custodial and financial issues that have arisen in light of the COVID-19 outbreak, ways to handle them if courts are not available, and what constitutes an emergency if a court does choose to accept certain applications.
- Addressing Employment and Immigration Law Concerns for Businesses During the COVID-19 Pandemic: How to Create a Strategy to Navigate Uncharted Waters. Join Yogi Patel and Steve Maggi for a discussion on employers with foreign workers, including regulations governing essential businesses, what happens when an employee contracts COVID-19, and what strategies and best practices should be implemented as we look ahead to the new normal.
- COVID-19 & the Impact on the Elderly: How to File Medicaid Applications, Execute Wills Remotely, and Handle Guardianship Proceedings in New York. This webinar, presented by Lissett Ferreira, will discuss important changes in elder law due to COVID-19, including changes to Medicaid applications, the impact of New York’s executive order regarding non-essential business on guardianship proceedings, and remote execution of wills and advance planning documents.
- Adjusting to the New Commercial Real Estate Market: How to Plan Strategically, Invest in a New Climate, and More. This webinar, presented by Gregory Schenk, will provide an overview of the latest events impacting the commercial real estate market as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and guide attorneys on how to handle the latest developments, and anticipate upcoming changes.
- Managing Your Coronavirus Response Plan: FAQs for Employers (Update). In this third webinar update, Susan Gross Sholinsky and Nancy Gunzenhauser Popper discuss various unemployment insurance laws, the impact of furloughs, the continued impact on businesses in states with stay at home orders, how to manage essential employees, how to keep your workplace virus-free, and what happens when the economy re-opens.
- COVID-19 Pandemic: Federal Special Education Update. This webinar reviews federal legal developments in the area of special education arising out of the COVID-19 pandemic, including directives issued under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Stimulus Act (CARES), as well as the challenges surrounding distance learning, what parents can do to protect the rights of students with disabilities, and how attorneys can support families in asserting their rights.
How to Be More Fearless and Focused in Your Law Practice and Your Life at Home. Tune into this engaging, interactive webinar presented by Lawline CEO David Schnurman geared toward helping attorneys be fearless in the next steps they'll take in law and in life.
COVID-19, Black Lives Matter, and the New Era of Sports. The COVID-19 pandemic and social protests resulting from the deaths of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and many others have had repercussions in the sports arena. This webinar will discuss the effects of event cancellations on player salaries, the future of the Olympics, and leagues' and teams' reactions to the Black Lives Matter movement.
State of the Practice Area Roundtable: Insurance Law. In this first in our series of practice area roundtables, Peter Halprin and Mikaela Whitman discuss the effects of COVID-19 on insurance law, trends and struggles currently seen in the practice, and what the future of insurance law might be.
- State of the Practice Area Roundtable: Intellectual Property Law. Join Amy Goldsmith, Nels Lippert, and Brendan O'Malley as they discuss the effects of COVID-19 on intellectual property law, the trends they currently see in their practice, and what the future of the field might be.
- How to Win Your Audience: Virtually and In-Person. This webinar will run through strategies and tips for successful public speaking, both virtually and in person, including how to best organize presentations, how to present without reading, and how to deal with nerves.
- State of the Practice Area Roundtable: Immigration Law. Join Amy Peck and Jessie Feinstein as they discuss the effects of COVID-19 on immigration law, what the future of the field might be, and best resources for immigration practitioners to utilize during this time.
- State of the Practice Area Roundtable: Tax Law. Join Roman and Bart Basi as they discuss the ongoing effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on tax law, and what the future of tax law might look like.
- How to Strengthen Your Workday Mindset and Feel Energized in a Remote Work World. This webinar will help you identify barriers that are preventing you from taking care of yourself during a workday, strengthen and develop your workday mindset, and create a personalized plan for how to incorporate simple wellness principles into your workday.
- Pivot Your Marketing in Response to COVID-19. Join Janet Falk as she covers resources and tactics firms can use to connect with prospective clients in our “new normal”, including newsletters, resource centers, webinars, podcasts, YouTube channels, and more.
- State of the Practice Area Roundtable: Nursing Home Litigation. This webinar will offer attorneys a glimpse into the current state of nursing home litigation, the changes being seen in the field due to the pandemic, and how the field might look moving forward.
Free Short Briefings
- What Are Best Practices for Handling Outside Sales Representatives Who Are Visiting Client Offices? Recorded on March 23, 2020.
- What Are Some Issues Surrounding Employee Liability? Recorded on March 23, 2020.
- Can You Require Medical Clearance Before Allowing Employees Into the Office? Recorded on March 23, 2020.
- How to Prepare for a Virtual Hearing. Recorded on April 2, 2020.
- Can Law Firms Apply for CARES Act Relief? Recorded on April 3, 2020.
- What is a Force Majeure Clause? Recorded on April 10, 2020.
- How Should You Approach Force Majeure Clauses During COVID-19? Recorded on April 10, 2020.
- How Should Co-Parents Handle Custody During the Pandemic? Recorded on April 15, 2020.
- What Can Your Healthcare Business Associate Tell Public Authorities? Recorded on April 22, 2020.
- HIPAA & Telehealth Questions Answered. Recorded on April 22, 2020.
About the Author
Written by Katie Carelli
Katie was raised in Fort Lauderdale, FL and decided to brave New York City after graduating with her M.A. in English Literature from Florida State University in 2018. When she is motivated to get off her couch, she frequents the movies, the theater, and the museums of the city.
Sign up to receive the latest articles and insights from Lawline.